Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Statesmen and Politicians

We have enough politicians --we need statesmen! 

As I've found out recently, not everyone knows the difference between statesmen and politicians...and, oh what a difference there is!  People make the assumption that I'm a politician now that I'm running for Borough Assembly and I need to refute that idea.  If I ever become a politician in the most commonly thought-of use of the term, I now give you my express permission to VOTE ME OUT OF OFFICE!  Wow, has any politician ever said that before?  Doubtful.  It is said that a politician runs for the next election, but a statesman runs for the next generation.

So, to begin the clarification process, let us turn to the online Mirriam-Webster dictionary.  We'll start with the word "Politician." It is my observation that we all get a fairly accurate picture in our minds when we hear or read that word.  Here's what Merriam-Webster's says:
pol·i·ti·cian\ˌpä-lə-ˈti-shən\ noun


Definition of POLITICIAN

1: a person experienced in the art or science of government; especially : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government

2a : a person engaged in party politics as a profession
b : a person primarily interested in political office for selfish or other narrow usually short-sighted reasons
Now, for the most part I believe we think of the last definition --definition 2b-- when we picture politicians in our head and I definately don't accept that definition of myself.  I am not running for a selfish reason, aside from wanting good government.  If that is selfish then so be it, but I believe it benefits all of Ketchikan and not just myself.  I'm not in "party politics" as I currently choose to vote for whatever laws and people I consider correct, regardless of party opinion.  I am neither experienced in the art or science of government, nor have I been active in conducting the business of government.  I'm just a "regular Joe" who has been learning about government and the original intent of the constitution.  So while parts of this definition may arguable apply if I get elected (I'll be actively involved in government), it is for the above reasons I do not call myself a politician. 

So what is a statesman then, if I'm not a politician?  Again, let us go to Mirriam Webster for our definition:
states·man\ˈstāts-mən\ noun


Definition of STATESMAN

1: one versed in the principles or art of government; especially : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government or in shaping its policies

2: one who exercises political leadership wisely and without narrow partisanship


WOW!  Did you catch that difference?  A statesman is someone who is versed in the principles of government (and thus makes principled decisions), someone actively engaged in shaping policies, and someone who exercises political leadership with wisdom and without making choices simply to promote a party or it's laws and policies.  I would be honored to be called a statesman!  That is exactly what I seek to be. 

I think many of us believe in the principles of government when discussed specifically, but I think often we don't recognize what principle is being acted upon or apply all principles correctly.  I think if we return to those principles set forth by our Founding Fathers, it will solve many of the problems we are dealing with as a nation (and Borough!) today. 

So as I said in the beginning, should I change from acting based on principles to acting for my own gain or that of a political party, fire me!  If we disagree on what are good government principles, please email me and we can discuss them --maybe I still need to learn something or can clarify myself.  If we disagree on the application of a principle, again, email me! 

I seek your input and think that once we know and act upon good principles of government, we can together shape its policies in wisdom.


I received an email and will edit the post to add this response for clarification purposes (8-25-10):
I am not saying that the election is about political party; I am aware that political parties don't join in the borough assembly races.  I do, however, believe that people choose a political party because of the beliefs they have in common regarding government action and that those same beliefs are often applied at all levels of government, whether local or in DC.  Perhaps I should clarify that posts on this blog are attempting to explain my beliefs on government in general and in specific.   I don't believe a "party" will act on the assembly level.  I do believe, however, that subscribers to specific political parties often act following party norms and I have stated that I will not do so, but base my actions upon set principles of good government whether popular or not.  Those principles can be applied to specific issues and when the principles are correct, can be applied across the board to big or small government.  Principled government brought us the Declaration of Independance and the Constitution with its Bill of Rights.  All you have to do is read the newspaper to see where voting by popularity has taken us.  What is popular comes and goes and basing decisions on what is popular is often not the same as basing a decision on what is right and what is wrong.  Sounds much like something we drill into the minds of our children...

3 comments:

  1. I learned something new and valuable from this post! Well said Catherine! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... what are your guiding principles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. October's post, "The origin of rights" is the beginnig of my attempt to explain principles of good government in detail. Thank you for the comment; I now see that I do not have the time to go into each principle in detail (yet) and should write a post with a fairly comprehensive list of principles with brief descriptions and keep the detail for separate, later posts.

    ReplyDelete